Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Almost There (Short Assignment #3 Analysis)

For my short assignment #3, I chose to edit "The Top 10 Reasons Students Cannot Rely on or Cite Wikipedia" by Mark Moran.  If you noticed, I began editing by rewording, rearranging, and repositioning the title.  This article had a very a clear argument that Wikipedia is not a reliable source by simply listing and numbering reasons.  I edited many different components of the piece from grammar, wording, arrangement, tone, etc.  Most of the piece is written in a very casual tone, sometimes too casual, and at one point used very eloquent vocabulary that just completely threw me off, which I immediately reworded.  Also the first two reasons given were written in the second-person voice, which I immediately reworded.  Before the piece was edited, Moran's errors were conflicting with 2 things: his stases levels and his argument.

In the article, each reason is written the same way concerning order of stases levels.  It starts 
with Fact and Definition which then leads into Cause.  All 10 reasons put together form the Value.  I think the over-all purpose of this article was to achieve a stases level of Policy (what should be done), but unfortunately it doesn't.  He lists all these problems and reasons why Wikipedia is so unreliable, but then doesn't post a solution, except that it can be used as a reference if used properly, but doesn't go into enough depth on that.

When I got to the end of the list, I found tow, possibly three, reasons listed which actually didn't support his argument at all.  I believe this would align with Kaufer's 1st conflict: "misunderstand the sense or reference of certain statements."  They were interesting and well develped statements, but they didn't necessarily support his argument, and one was even the complete antithesis of his argument.

Thankfully i did find the punctuation to be mostly correct.  He did need a little help with the fluid movement of the text, but fortunately when simply listing reasons of something, sometimes it's not completely necessary for one reason to flow right into the next.

No comments:

Post a Comment